Friday 14 January 2011

Jim Ross's Most Recent Blog Highlights

Hello from the sunshine state of Florida! Let's get started w/ a Slobber Knocker collection of random thoughts.


I agree w/ a recent Kevin Nash Tweet that if WWE had a physical Hall of Fame that Shawn Michaels should have a statue erected in his honor. Was anyone in the modern age of wrestling ever a better all around performer? Only Ric Flair is likely in the same zip code considering years of service at the top of the card. As great a fan favorite as HBK was, I think his best work was as a villain.

Good to visit w/ Arn Anderson Wednesday in Tampa @ FCW. I hope the trainees learned some useful info as both Double A and I enjoy interacting w/ the rookies. Thursday night FCW will tape three, one hour TV shows.

The rookies are evaluated daily which is why it's imperative that they come to work each day and give 100% of themselves mentally and physically. I've encouraged them all to read plenty of wrestling books and self help/financial books. Financial planning is so important for individuals who potentially have shorter 'shelf lives' than those in other vocations.

Really surprised to read of the great 'get' of Brock Lesnar and his next opponent Junior Dos Santos as the next coaches for the UFC's TUF series. This will not only build to a mega fight w/ the two heavyweights but will also afford Brock the opportunity to promote his upcoming biography and his clothing line.

Some ask what motivated Lesnar to commit to several weeks of taping the program away from Minnesota and living in Las Vegas for approximately 6 weeks. The answer is marketing opportunities, building a PPV, and helping the company that the former WWE Champion works for to continue to build their brand. Bottom line....it's a win/win for all involved.

Again, a great 'get' for Dana White and company. But I'm still surprised.

Wednesday I had the opportunity to spend some time working w/ FCW referees. I was once a referee for Cowboy Bill Watts in the 70's and learned the craft from the 'Big Cowboy' and some great officials. Great refs are invaluable and can add so much to an in ring presentation.

I remember donning the striped shirt for a Dory Funk, Jr vs Harley Race NWA Title bout in Tulsa and I tried to catch both men violating the rules just as I would in any football or basketbll game I officiated. Try as I might, Dory & Harley allowed one to 'catch' them when they choose to do so. Those 2 HOF'ers were masters of their domain I assure you.

Today's rookies AND main eventers can learn a great deal by studying Race and Funk.

Emailer....Yes Scaffold Matches are very difficult to broadcast/call for a play by play guy. These type bouts limit what the athletes can do and are very dangerous. Don't know if WWE will ever do one but if they did it would likely be in a domed stadium at a Wrestlemania. The best Scaffold Match I ever saw was Rock 'n Roll Express vs. the Midnight Express back in the Mid South days. Most other Scaffold Matches that I've called or seen haven't been even close to the incomparable battles the two Express teams had.

Emailer....Even w/ your proposed AWA Title storyline, I don't think that a Jerry Lawler vs. Larry Zybszko match at a future Wrestlemania would ever happen. If Jerry gets his long awaited WM bout it would be w/ someone who's current on WWE TV. Does Larry still wrestle some?

I always thought Larry and I could have made an interesting broadcast team back in the day.

Emailer...Yes, my wife and I plan on being in Atlanta for WM27 but I have no plans at this time in doing any broadcasting. However, I wouldn't miss HBK being inducted in the WWE HOF for any thing. Plus, it will be fun to attend an event in the Georgia Dome where I used to broadcast Atlanta Falcons football.

Emailer...I have no idea who will induct HBK into the WWE HOF. HHH would do a great job IMO. So would Ric Flair among many other notable individuals. It's Shawn's call as it should be.
Emailer...I'm not in the SD vs Raw video game but am in the upcoming WWE All Star video game that will be released the Tuesday of WM27 week. I hope everyone buys it as 'baby needs new shoes.' It was a blast to do. Old school mixed w/ new school.

No comments: