Tuesday 29 March 2011

Rob Van Dam Exclusive Interview

Rob Van Dam: I Knew TNA Were Serious About Me When Hulk Called.




By Phil Allely



This past January (during the first leg of the UK Maximum Impact tour) Phil Allely was fortunate enough to chat with former TNA Heavyweight Champion Rob Van Dam about how his life has changed since he decided to take a spot in TNA.



Leaving the WWE after a long run the former ECW headliner had no immediate intentions of returning to the world of wrestling unless it was on his terms and the company he chose to work for gave him the backing he felt his former employers never really did.



“I was fortunate enough to be able to pick and chose what I wanted to do when I left the WWE, so many of the guys can’t afford to do that for various reasons. I just needed to recharge my batteries, pursue my many outside interests and see if I still wanted to step back in the ring again.”



During his break from mainstream wrestling the former ECW star was a major part of American Wrestling Rampage’s European Tour, there he shared the ring with Sabu, Scotty Too Hotty, Kid Kash and Sean Waltman amongst others. Tearing down houses and seemingly relighting along absent inner fire along the way.



“I loved those shows, you know Sabu is one of my closest friends and we enjoyed bringing back that ECW element to something like that. We did some crazy things in some very intimate venues and they went down a storm. It was great to be able to take our extreme influenced performances to people who only ever saw us on video or DVD. Those small arenas were just what I needed to get myself back into the frame of mind to compete again. But we knew it was a limited thing, we can’t keep doing that year in year out. I’d love to have him (Sabu) here with me now in TNA, but as Dixie has explained his stint here wasn’t long term and I understand that. We are in a business after all and he had a decent run before he moved on“.



Many were not shocked by Van Dam’s jump to TNA, but when it was mentioned he may be seeking work for Dixie Carter’s company there were rumours he may have been approached by the WWE in an attempt to stop another big name joining the opposition.



“Man I love TNA, it’s a wonderful place to work (after some of the places I was in before) I was probably one of the last guys approached by them though. There were big plans in motion it seems (if I’d joined right away) a spot in the Main Event Mafia was brought up, but I’m not and never have been one for sharing the spotlight, I prefer to be the star and in the limelight by myself. Plus I’d just came out of the WWE, I was ready for a break from the business at that point so that plan went away. WWE had really burnt me out, my contract stated I’d be given breaks and they never gave them to me, I heard many excuses why and wasn‘t happy about it. You know they did that constantly and they probably wrecked the chances of many guys going back by treating the talent that way. “When my contract ended (with the WWE) I just needed time to clear my head and find myself. Yes TNA tried to get me straight away, they tried (to hit me for my wrestling) passion and I said no. Bischoff called me, Dixie Carter called me, even Jason Hervey picked up the phone. But I said to myself they are not serious because Hogan hasn’t called yet.

Then he did, I was doing my radio show and he called in. The guy spent a half hour explaining on the air why I should join him in TNA.“



Hogan was at that point the major player in TNA and instead of filling the top tier of the company with his hangers on (like he had in WCW) he seemed to go head hunting genuine talent that would benefit Dixie Carter’s group as it grew and re-built its sometimes tarnished reputation.



“That was what got me here, Hulk is the most recognised guy there is in the industry, I value his opinion and knew he was doing what he felt was best for us all when he brought guys like myself to TNA. He has a presence, no matter where he features in the company he can make a difference, he may not be performing any more after his surgery, but he can still entertain and do what he does best, be a legend. People will always want to see him.”



RVD has pursued many outside interests since he left the WWE and continues to do so. Opening comic book stores, acting, hosting a radio show and creating his own reality TV series.



“Something WWE never let me do were acting jobs, they turned them down for me, but now (being in TNA) I’ m in a situation where I can do these things. WWE just didn’t see the potential of these opportunities and they really ruined my chances back then. I was in some very good places and they (WWE) just blew it for me, by refusing point blank to negotiate anything. Whereas Dixie let’s us explore our possibilities and gives us that chance. Her philosophy is that our extended profile helps TNA enhance its own and of course it does.”



Dixie Carter has been the driving force behind TNA for most of its life and continues to work very hard in making her brand a more family friendly, approachable and personable one than its rival. Van Dam like the every roster member we interview has only good things to say about the company President.



“Dixie is a real people person, she is what fuels TNA, we all feed of her enthusiasm for the company. She wants first hand connection with our fans. It’s so different to how Vince runs his company. At this stage of my career they take so much better care of me, than the WWE ever did at any point. I’d go as far as to say I mean more to TNA than I did at any point with them.”



TNA’s roster has featured/still features many former WWE/WCW/ECW, who work very well with their own homegrown talent, allowing both to thrive in the organisation. Many former big names though have tried and failed in TNA, their fate is something that Rob understands and explains with ease.



“I for one love the freedom here and I know the other guys do too. There are many people who want to work here that find the opportunity isn’t the easy ride they expected it to be. An awful lot of them can’t meet the standards and be in the same zone as the rest of us are. I mean look at Sabu, he has had an unbelievable career and yet he was let go, no matter who you are you need to prove yourself and if you don’t you’re gone. This company needs to continually trim the fat to keep ourselves up where we are. We need to be consistent. It keeps you on your toes.”



If the WWE came calling would Rob return for one last run, like some of his peers such as Booker T and Kevin Nash.



“You know fair play to anyone who does go back, but you know I was so burnt out and had so much trouble in my last year there that I just wanted away from that scenario. I couldn’t enjoy going out to the ring and doing my thing, it was killing me. My contract ended and I wanted out, they offered me a new one and I said no. I’m so happy being able to have the freedom at last to juggle my other projects and still go out each night and be the whole f’n show.”

No comments: