Wednesday 10 November 2010

Mickie James: No one puts me in a corner!





Mickie James ‘Nobody puts me in a corner!’

By Phil Allely

With a new feud in the making with former WWE sparring partner Tara, Mickie James has already made a splash in TNA. Their recent in-ring meetings and challenge match at Turning Point, which will be shown this Friday on Extreme Sports Channel will according to many be the catalyst that reignites the one time red hot Knockouts Division.

TNA’s most recent signing and great addition to the Knockout’s Division Mickie James participated in a Q&A session on her official website www.mickiejames.com recently.
The twenty questions with John Canton feature takes a look at the many facets of the former WWE Women’s Champions career and personal life, highlights from the session are:

Over the course of the last few months you’ve wrestled top women’s wrestlers like ODB, Mercedes Martinez and Mia Yim to name a few. How has it felt to be wrestling on the indy scene again?
‘I find it humbling to go full circle and I get to see women who I never would have worked with before. Then I get to see the women who are eager up and comers that were in the same position I was in ten years ago. It’s a blessing for me to be able to give back to the business that has given me so much.’

Can you talk about the decision process with regards to TNA and what made you to sign with them?
‘I think a lot of people know (TNA President) Dixie Carter attended my CD release party in Nashville in May, so we were talking. I was entertaining the move for a while. I think what made it click was working an independent gig where friends of mine were there. It made me remember why I got in wrestling in the first place. It was my genuine love for wrestling. I think sometimes it becomes a business and you forget the important details. Now I feel like I have a renewed spirit. I remember why I got into the business and it’s that love. I know that Dixie is behind me 100% with the music too. We’re going to try to work both of the schedules together. One hand feeds the other. She gets that. She wants me to be successful and to pursue music or acting if I so choose. She knows I’m representing TNA with everything that I do. That’s not a liberty that you often have in any business. I think that’s a really cool thing. It gives everybody power over their own destiny. It allows you to go after your dreams and do what you want to do. You’re still an individual.
The other thing that meant a lot to me was that she texted me on my birthday to say happy birthday. We had spoken several times before that and she came to my CD release party, but to me that spoke volumes to the kind of person she was. She promised me that she will look out for me. She told me that they supported me 100% in TNA. For her to take time out of her busy day to text me happy birthday meant a lot because it showed what kind of character she had.’

You debuted in TNA on October 7th and you’ve made quite the impact already. What would it mean to be the first woman to hold WWE’s Women’s Championship, Divas Championship and TNA’s Knockout Championship?
'I think it would be quite an honor. Obviously it’s the first thing on my list of to-dos while I’m in TNA. I think coming in and making a statement is more than just winning a championship. It’s also about making your mark, stating your place and making a big splash. Don’t underestimate me or don’t pre-judge me because of what you may assume. It shows every knockout in the locker room that I’m a force to be reckoned with.’

You’ve been through a lot in 2010 from dealing with an injured knee earlier in the year, to being released by WWE, to releasing your first country music album and then signing with TNA recently. With 2011 around the corner, where do you see your career in the next year and beyond?
‘I’d say 2010 was definitely an eye opener for me. There was a lot of change, some good and some unexpected ones too. There were doors being slammed in my face and doors were opened as well. It was a big year for me career wise as well as a person. You don’t see the changes right away, but it’s all a part of growing. It opened my eyes a lot to what kind of person I am. I think as long as I can do what I love and be who I am with no reservations and no expectations it makes it easier on me. I can hold my head high, believe in myself and not worry about what somebody else thinks. I try to stay true to myself and I guess sometimes that can rub people the wrong way. With that said I think 2010 was a huge growing time for me. I learned a lot this year. If you like me great; if you don’t that’s okay too. You can never please everybody in this world. Right now I’m doing what I can to make myself happy and I hope my fans will join me for the ride.
It’s like that scene in Dirty Dancing when Johnny walks back in during the middle of the assembly and he walks up to the table. He says “nobody puts baby in the corner.” And he grabs her hand and they walk up to the stage. He goes: “We’re going to do the dance that we want to do to the kind of music that we want to do it to.” That’s kind of how my life is right now. And that’s what I’m doing.
I think that I’ve had a lot of highs and lows in my life just like anybody else. That’s what makes us grow as human beings. The one constant in life is change. People come and go, things come and go. Some of my lowest moments have been this year, so I feel like the only place to go in 2011 is up, up and up. I’ve always been one to believe in positivity and I don’t want to jinx it, but I’ll be hopeful that it works out next year as well as into the future.’

The full feature can be seen on Mickie’s website and you can of course see her in action each and every week on TNA Impact!

No comments: