Sunday 6 December 2009

Jesse Ventura makes coments on the WWE/MacMahon

A body blow from Jesse Ventura,



By Phil Allely



Former WWE grappler, colour commentator and recent Raw guest host Jesse 'The Body' Ventura has been one of the most outspoken of Vince McMahon's former employees over the years and has spent most of that time lobbying for a wrestlers union to be installed, to ensure the in-ring performers receive all of the things normal working people receive as employees of a large company.



Ventura famously went on to become a successful US Govenor after his WWE days and even succeeded in suing his former boss over unpaid royalties, owed for video releases he featured on.



After his recent stint on Raw many thought Ventura and McMahon had buried the hatchet, however during a recent interview with the Baltimore Sun (in relation to a new conspiracy theory project) the flamboyant and charismatic Ventura did make a few reference to his recent WWE experience, future wrestling appearances and his feelings towards how current superstars are treated by their employer.



Here are a few extracts from the interview.(check out www.baltimoresun.com for the full interview)



A few wrestling questions for you. I know you’ve spoken out in the past about the issue of wrestlers being labeled as independent contractors. Can you explain your take on the subject?

It’s a violation of law. How can [Vince] McMahon get away with calling wrestlers independent contractors when they can only work for him, he has them under an exclusive contract, he tells them when they’ll wrestle, where they’ll wrestle and whether they’ll win or lose. That’s not employment? The government don’t care because they get their money either way, whether the wrestler’s paying it or whether Vince has to pay into Social Security. They probably just figure, “Oh well, it’s just wrestling. Who gives a damn?”



What was it like hosting Raw last week?

It was phenomenal. It was fun, and as much as I speak against Vince for some of his business practices, I will say this: He treated me with tremendous respect. I had a great time and it was almost like getting in a time capsule. I was able to become who I was 20 years ago and have fun doing it.



As you said, you have been an outspoken critic of McMahon’s. I can’t imagine the two of you in a room together, much less working together. Was there any tension at all?
Not a bit. When it comes time to perform, we’re both performers. It’s much like professional athletes say: In the summer it’s a baseball game; in the winter it’s business. It’s the same thing. When we’re performing, it’s performing. Now when we’re negotiating, that’s business. But when we get on the camera, business is left aside. It’s called being professional.



Was there anyone at Raw who really impressed you?

I love Randy Orton. I think he’s a hell of a performer. He’s a terrific professional and I enjoyed working with him. If you want to use the old term, he’s a chip off the old block from his dad and his grandfather



Do you think you’ll have any future dealings with WWE, maybe even coming back on a semi-regular basis?

I don’t think so at all, because I live in Mexico half the year, and in fact I’d be there right now if it wasn’t for the debut and the publicity of this show. I will leave here next week. I live 800 miles into Mexico, where I surf, I live where there’s no electricity and I won’t be back until May or June. I’ve done that for five years now.




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phil Allely

No comments: