Thursday 2 July 2009

Amy Dumas Interview



interview with Amy 'Lita' Dumas June 2009, by Phil Allely

Starting today (July 2nd) Amy Dumas, better known to us wrestling fans as Lita from The WWE or Miss Congeniality in the original ECW will be on tour in the UK and Ireland with her punk-rock band The Luchagors. Here is a short interview with Amy prior to their tour.



Phil: Hi Amy thanks for taking the time to talk to me. So can you tell me and my readers what you are doing with yourself these days?




Amy: My schedule is much more relaxing. I must admit I enjoy it. I have a radio show on Project96-1 here in Atlanta I do on Sunday nights. It's a 1 hour punk show, I love doing it. The last Saturday of every month I am involved with the Silver Scream Spook Show at the Plaza theater in Atlanta. It is a live improv-comedy show with elements of a variety show, vaudeville, and old style spook shows. It is a lot of fun to do. Also, I am always doing stuff with my band as well, even if we aren't on the road, we are at the rehearsal space and dreaming up future possibilities for the band.



Phil: It’s been a few years since you left wrestling, do you ever miss it?


Amy: No, I don't miss it. Maybe if I didn't do any other form of entertaining in front of a live audience I would miss it, but I still get my fill of being an entertainer, just not in the ring





Phil: Are you still in contact with people on the WWE roster, has life there changed?



Amy: I talk to some people there, yes. I can't speak for any of them though, so I don't know about life there changing. Plus, when I talk to friends that work there it is usually catching up on life, rather than work gossip, so I can say I am out of the loop on that



Phil: Do you watch any of the programming, or that of TNA, any thoughts on either of them?


Amy: I don't watch, no.



Phil: You have been working on your music career and even independently produced your debut album with The Luchagors. How has the music industry treated you, did your past career and high profile help or hinder your progress?


Amy: I would say the music industry has completely ignored us. It is very hard to switch forms of entertainment without some company or lable behind you. I would say may past career has been a catch 22. It has made for somewhat of an instant international fan base, but music people seem to be turned off. Until they see us live, that is.



Phil: What inspires your music?




Amy: I would say day to day life can inspire me lyrically, but musically, I grew up on 80's and 90's punk and hardcore. The guys had more of a rock background, Jay, our bass player grew up on similar music. Band wise I would say 7 Seconds, Dead Kennedys, Circle Jerks, Lunachicks, X, as well as The Ramones, Alice Cooper, Thin Lizzy



Phil: Can I ask what your fondest memories of being a full time wrestler are?




Amy:I would say the time before I broke my neck, when I still felt invincible.



Phil: Would you ever make a return to the ring, perhaps for one last match or storyline?




Amy: Sure, I have never ruled out a brief run, or a match. Just not a full time schedule again



Phil: Did you see the send-off Vickie Guererro received recently, have you any opinion on that and how it compared to your own?


Amy: I wasn't aware she didn't work there anymore



Phil: So I hear us UK/Irish fans can look forward to seeing and hearing The Luchagors over the coming week or so, are you looking forward to the gigs and what can we expect from a live Luchagors show?




Amy: Well, definitely high energy, and anything goes. We don't plan a lot in our shows. Not even the set list. We just feel it out and make sure everyone has fun. I must admit, we put ourselves at the top of that list, though. But usually if we are having fun up there- you guys will, too.



Phil: Do you find the life on the road any easier in a band than when you were wrestling, any good road stories from either you can share with us?




Amy: Traveling with the band is completley different. Alone time is hard to get. We are usually piled into 1 room, but we chose that life. It's fun. Jay has fixed his snoring so that rules! With wrestling, there can be too much alone time, a lot of driving and a lot of hotel rooms alone.



Phil: Thanks for you time Amy, what’s next for yourself and The Luchagors?




Amy: We really want to concentrate on getting out a new album, so we will start writing and demoing that soon. Look out for it!- amy



Phil: Wonderful to talk to you, I can’t wait to get along to the gig in my hometown of Belfast and hear you guys live. I look forward to seeing you there.



You can catch The Luchagors and Amy at venues across the UK and Ireland near you soon, check out www.myspace.com/theluchagors13 and local ticket outlets for dates and venues.




Phil Allely.

No comments: